Following are notes prepared by Marv Sywyk summarizing the details of the meeting:
Notes from Meeting with Councillor Moffatt and City Staff re Ditches & Drainage in CGYHA
7 PM 14 January 2015
- About 30 residents from the CGYHA attended the meeting.
- There were 6 staff members from the city and Councillor Moffatt
- The main purpose of the meeting was to outline the numerous problems with ditches and drainage within the community.
- Councillor Moffatt opened the meeting and introduced the staff members.
- Marv Sywyk introduced the overall problem by stating
- we were interested in an overall solution as well as addressing individual concerns
- we all recognize that the area is flat and the water table is high
- Any solution must also address the culverts that are suppose to drain water from the community into the river (mainly from Marina Dr)
- Not looking for an expensive solution that might increase taxes
- Not looking for a solution that would involve digging up existing culverts on some properties
- Some individual from the community had already emailed their concerns to Councillor Moffatt
- Those at the meeting outlined their individual problem. The city took notes and will follow up.
- A discussion was held re the culverts under driveways. The City considers these to be a homeowner problem as they are considered ” private access to residences”. There is no permit requirement to replace these culverts and thus no oversight by the City to ensure that the replacement culverts are properly installed so as not to exacerbate any drainage problems.
- The City will not approve filling of ditches or installation of culverts.
- Some issues were raised that concerned action by the Golf Club (e.g. filling in ditches on Golf Club property which causes water drainage problems on home owners’ properties). Councillor Moffatt stated that these are issues between private owners (e.g. home owner and the Golf Club) and not issues for the City.
Decision:The City staff will look at all of the problems noted and come back to us with some “solutions”. While no timeframe was agreed upon, Marv asked that the City provide timely updates to keep all informed of any progress.
NOTE: Individuals who were not able to attend the meeting may want to email Councillor Moffatt (Scott.Moffatt@ottawa.ca) with their particular concerns. If possible, copies of the email should also be sent to email@example.com so that we have a consolidated view of all of the issues.